Murder investigation launched after teenager 'chased by trio armed with machete' and killed

Police were called to Munster Square in Camden on Monday night
Police were called to Munster Square in Camden on Monday night Credit: Georgina Stubbs/PA

A 16-year-old boy who was stabbed to death in north-west London was being chased by three young men armed with a machete, according to a witness.

The victim collapsed near the doorstep of a home in Munster Square, Camden at around 11.10pm on Monday.

The three men were "screaming and laughing" as they pursued him, according to the witness, who did not want to be named.

The victim could be heard banging on a family's front door appealing for help before he was stabbed, she said.

She added: "I was just in my room and all I heard was screaming and shouting.

"Through my bedroom window I could see everything.

"We just saw the three boys holding him.

"He said 'help me, help me, help me'.

"He collapsed on the floor and then it was quiet."

The victim's stomach was visibly bloodied, she said, adding that the attackers fled in a car.

The boy was pronounced dead at the scene, according to police.

The force said a murder investigation had been launched and that inquiries into the circumstances were ongoing. No arrests have been made.

A man who lives near to where the body was found, who did not want to be named, said the square has recently become a hotspot for drug taking and groups of men regularly gather there.

Police at the scene in Munster Square on Tuesday Credit: Stefan Rousseau/PA

A crowd of emergency services and members of the local community were at the scene following the attack, he added.

At the scene on Tuesday afternoon a large police cordon remained in place, and stretched across a number of nearby roads.

Flowers have been left at the scene as a tribute to the young victim.

In Munster Square, a first aid bag could be seen on the pavement close to a bollard, with white sheeting on the ground outside one of the flats.

The latest victim of knife crime comes after Boris Johnson vowed to "come down hard" on crime as he announced an extension of police stop-and-search powers and tougher sentences for violent criminals.

The Prime Minister said this week he was determined to tackle rising levels of knife crime amid the impression of a growing "culture of insolence" among "thugs" who believed they could act with impunity.

At the same time, he said the Government would be investing £2.5 billion in creating 10,000 new prison places to ensure serious violent and sexual offenders got the sentence they deserved.

Since taking office last month, Mr Johnson has already set out plans to recruit another 20,000 police officers over the next three years.

But shadow home security Diane Abbott said extending Section 60 stop and search powers over the summer is a "tried and tested recipe for unrest, not violence reduction".